Alvarado Hospital Medical Center staff, physicians and volunteers celebrated 40 years of taking care of its neighbors. Called Alvarado Community Hospital, the facility officially accepted its first patients on Aug. 14, 1972. Since then, it has expanded to offer more than 35 services and programs and become an award-winning, vital member of the College Area and surrounding
"We are so proud to continue to serve our community as part of the 'Top 15 Health Systems in the Nation' and a leading providing of stroke, spine, heart, cancer, ENTand physical rehabilitation services," said Robin Gomez, hospital administrator. "We are especially excited to take this opportunity to announce the expansion of our emergency department, which will almost triple the current size and offer state-of-the-art emergency services combined with reduced wait times.
Alvarado Hospital has accumulated a number of patient safety and clinical excellence awards over the decades. In addition to the milestones mentioned below, the hospital has recently undergone more than $10 million in renovations and upgrades.
- First in western U.S. to earn two certifications in stroke care from The Joint Commission (Primary Stroke Center and Gold Seal of Approval for Stroke Rehabilitation)
- First in California to receive the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for Stroke Rehabilitation
- Joint Commission Certification as a Primary Stroke Center · American Stroke Association-certified stroke program
- San Diego County STEMI (heart attack) receiving center
- American College of Surgeons' Commission-certified community cancer program
- Site of one of the nation's leading skull-base programs
- Part of the "Top 15 Health Systems” in the nation as named by Thomson Reuters
- Regional referral site for rehabilitation services
- Region's leading vision rehabilitation program
- Center of Excellence designation for bariatric surgery by Blue Cross, Medicare, Health Net, Cigna and United Resource Network
- World's only multi-disciplinary sexual medicine program
- First East County facility to offer telemedicine capability (UCSD affiliated)
- Site of one of the first open-heart procedures in San Diego
- Site of the world's first laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery
- Site of one of San Diego's first board-certified endovascular surgeons
- Site of one of the region's first interoperative neurologist
"To thank the community for your support over the decades, we have just launched a neighborhood loyalty program, called the Alvarado Advantage Club, which is free to join and offers members a variety of perks that extend to hotel discounts at partner hotels and prioritized rooms and parking when available,” Gomez said.
"We are proud to be a part of such a wonderful community and look forward to taking care of you for the next 40 years,” Gomez added.
For more information and to sign up for the Advantage Club, click here.