For more information on our programs and services, call 1-800-ALVARADO (258-2723).
Some patients may not require surgery, instead benefiting from a combination of medication, diet and lifestyle changes. Others may require coronary angioplasty or placement of intracoronary stents. Alvarado Hospital Medical Center specialists will discuss medical options with you, and encourage your participation in determining your course of treatment.
Brand-New Cardiac Cath Lab and Interventional Unit
The new, state-of-the-art cardiac catherization laboratory at Alvarado Hospital, which opened in July 2010, features the latest technology for treating cardiovascular disease. In addition, Alvarado Hospital is participating in clinical research protocols for the evaluation of next-generation technology and investigational devices.
Advanced interventional techniques are available for:
- Congenital heart problems, such as atrial septal defect, which is associated with migraines and unexplained strokes
- Transcatheter valve therapies for the repair or replacement of heart valves
- Electrophysiology correction of abnormal heart rhythms through ablation, pacemakers or implantable defibrillators
Endovascular procedures providing treatment for aortic aneurysms and peripheral vascular disease, including carotid, renal artery and peripheral arterial (leg) stents
Alvarado provides patients with an array of treatment options:
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA)
- Coronary stent placement (including drug-eluting stents)
- Cardioverter defibrillator implantation
- Electrophysiology and cardiac ablation therapy
- Pacemaker implantation
Laser pacemaker lead extraction (more than any other hospital in San Diego)
Percutaneous closure of congenital heart defects, such as patent foramen ovale (PFO), which is a defect in the septum (wall) between the two upper (atrial) chambers of the heart.