Emergency department volunteers are for adults who want to really be close
to the action. Actively involved in the energy of the ER, these volunteers
typically are interested in a future clinical career and want to provide
support to the busy emergency staff and physicians, as well as comfort
to emergency patients and loved ones.
Emergency department volunteers must be at least 18 years old and shifts
are available seven days a week from 9 a.m. to midnight.
Typical duties might include:
- Deliver specimen to the lab
- Pick up medical charts or test results
- Assist visitors (i.e. bring them a chair to sit by the patient’s
bedside, answer questions visitor questions (location of restroom, phone,
- Bring a blanket, snack or beverage with staff authorization
- Restock supplies as needed
- Help put clean linens on the bed for the next patient