Nine Alvarado Hospital physicians and staff members were selected as 2008 San Diego Health Care Champions, as part of the San Diego Business Journal's annual event.
All of the Alvarado award winners below honored at a special event on Aug. 21 at the Town & Country Resort & Convention Center.
- James Bates, MD, Orthopedic Surgery – Finalist for Innovation & Research Champion
- Scott Leary, MD, Neurosurgery – Finalist for Innovation & Research Champion
- Michael Butera, MD, Infectious Disease – Finalist as a Physician Champion
- Laurier Tremblay, MD, General Surgery – Finalist as a Physician Champion
- Dale Clukey, RN, Clinical Nurse Educator – Finalist as an Educator Champion
- Ann Loring, RN, Clinical Educator – Finalist for Nurse Champion
Of the 72 finalists, the following top honorees were selected from Alvarado Hospital:
- Nina Barris, RN, Wound/Ostomy Continence Nurse – Top Honoree as a "Nurse Champion”
- Karin Berntsen, Director of Risk & Care Management – Top Honoree as a "Health Care Staff Champion”
- Ian Purcell, MD, Oto-Neurology – Top Honoree as an "Innovation & Research Champion”