1. Don’t skip meals to lose weight. Skipping meals leads to overeating at the next meal.
2. Keep a stash of healthy snacks when hunger strikes, such as fruit, low-fat yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese, veggies, popcorn or whole grain cereal/milk.
3. Eat breakfast every day – those who skip breakfast tend to eat more throughout the rest of the day.
4. Eat your meals from a smaller plate – studies have shown that plate size matters in terms of food portioned out.
5. It’s absolutely OK to enjoy your favorite foods, just keep the portions small and infrequent.
6. Beware of liquid calories: regular soda, alcohol – these calories add up quickly. Healthier options:
sparkling water, diet soda, milk, coffee and unsweetened teas.
7. Follow the MyPlate example: ½ plate vegetables, ¼ plate protein, ¼ plate starch, plus beverage and fruit.
8. Chew your food! It takes 20 minutes for your stomach to register fullness. Savor the flavor of your meal.
9. Sit down at the table to eat – distractions such as eating at your desk or in front of the TV are more likely to lead to overeating.
10. Move your feet before you eat! Aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day to help maintain weight.
—By Kristen Gonzales, Registered Dietitian