Since performing one of the region’s first open-heart surgeries more
than 40 years ago, Alvarado Hospital continues to provide cutting-edge
heart services in San Diego. Alvarado Hospital is the recipient of two
national cardiac quality care awards.
Our cardiologists and cardiac surgeons are devoted to providing the highest
level of cardiac and cardiovascular medical services available. An extensive
range of diagnostic, therapeutic, surgical services, and rehabilitation
are provided. As a leader in innovation, Alvarado Hospital surgeons provide
a variety of cardiac procedures, including:
- Minimally invasive procedures for atrial fibrillation that help prevent
strokes and may ultimately replace blood-thinning medications.
- Noninvasive testing to determine the amount of arterial plaque build-up
in the heart.
- Minimally invasive procedures that place a tiny filter into a leg vein
in order to prevent blood clots from traveling into the lungs.
Heart Attack-Receiving Center
Alvarado Hospital is designated as a
STEMI (heart attack) Receiving Center by San Diego County. STEMI stands for ST-elevation myocardial infarction.
This designation is only given to hospitals that prove their staff can
meet stringent standards of transporting a patient from the ER to the
cardiac cath lab in 90 minutes or less. This is the time frame wherein
blood flow must be restored to achieve the best outcomes for heart attack
Hospitals with this designation have demonstrated that their emergency
departments have the facilities, technology, and physicians necessary
to provide the immediate diagnostic tests and interventions needed to
save lives. This designation puts Alvarado Hospital’s emergency
physicians and cardiologists on the front line in the fight against heart-related
deaths in San Diego County.
Committed to continuous quality improvement, Alvarado Hospital has regularly
participated in statewide quality measurements. We consistently meet and
exceed state quality and outcome measurements for cardiac services.
Download information flier here.
Diagnostic Cardiac Testing
Equipped with advanced monitoring, imaging and testing technologies, Alvarado
Hospital’s diagnostic services provide a comprehensive approach
to detecting and tracking cardiac and cardiovascular irregularities. Many
of these services may be provided on an outpatient basis.
- Electrocardiograms24-hour Holter monitoring
- 30-day event monitoring
- ECG and signal-averaged ECG
- Exercise stress testing
- Treadmill stress testing
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Electrophysiology studies
- Cardiac perfusion scanning
- Pacemaker monitoring and analysis
- Tilt-table orthostatic tolerance testing
Specialized Cardiac Services
Alvarado Hospital specializes in
interventional cardiology and treatment of severe heart attacks, called
STEMIs (ST segment elevation myocardial infarction). Alvarado Hospital believes
that an experienced, caring nursing staff is a key component in your recovery.
Each cardiac unit at our facility has specially trained nurses who provide
24-hour monitoring of patients before and after surgery.
Alvarado Hospital received two national accolades for cardiac care, and
for overal clinical care and patient safety from Healthgrades:
- Five Stars for Pacemaker Procedures (2015)
- Five Stars for Treatment of Heart Failure (2015)
- Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence (2014-2016)
- Patient Safety Excellence (2015-2016)
Alvarado Hospital’s Physician Referral Service can help you find
a cardiologist or heart surgeon who meets your needs. To find a physician,
simply click on the
Physician Finder or call (800) ALVARADO (800-258-2723) to allow one of our friendly customer
service representatives to assist you in selecting a primary care physician,
cardiologist, cardiac surgeon, or other specialist.
Alvarado Advantage Club
If you will be an Alvarado Hospital patient or visitor, you are invited
to join the free
Alvarado Advantage Club. Members receive a variety of benefits, including:
- VIP parking
- Priority for a private room when available
- Newspaper delivery with breakfast when hospitalized
- 10% discount at the Alvarado Gift Shop and Cafe
- 10% discount at the Alvarado Medical Plaza Pharmacy
- First notification of special events and classes
- Hotel discounts... and more!
To learn more or to register online,
click here. To register through one of our customer service representatives, call
(800) ALVARADO (800-258-2723).